FNB2.FTU
FNB2.FTU
FNB2.FTU
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FNB2.FTU

A place where you can share your hobbies, business ideas, or anything that you feel interesting...

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

"Glommy Sunday" - A suicide song

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
NguyenTueMinh

"Glommy Sunday" - A suicide song Empty
PostSubject: "Glommy Sunday" - A suicide song   "Glommy Sunday" - A suicide song I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 11:02 pm

This is a original version of the a famous suicide song in 20th century. Today I want to share with you about the long history of this song. There are so many people how cover this song also in many different languages. Probably you would understand more if you listen to the English version. But to me, this one is the most touchable and a little bit scary as well.

Gloomy Sunday" (from Hungarian "Szomorú Vasárnap",is a song written by the Hungarian self-taught pianist and composer Rezső Seress in 1933. According to urban legend, it inspired hundreds of suicides. 
Sam M. Lewis and Desmond Carter each translated the song into English. Sam Lewis's version was performed from 1936 by Hal Kemp and his Orchestra, then later by Artie Shaw and Billie Holiday. The popularity of "Gloomy Sunday" increased greatly after its interpretation by Billie Holiday in 1941. Her performance established Lewis' version as the standard for later interpreters. Attempting to alleviate the pessimistic tone, a third stanza was added to the Billie Holiday version, giving the song a dreamy theme (starting with "Dreaming, I was only dreaming"). Paul Robeson (1936) and Diamanda Galás (1992) used Carter's lyrics in their versions of the song. 

In 1968, Seress jumped to his death from his apartment. The New York Times Archive holds the obituary of Rezső Seress, where he is credited with causing suicides. The article reads: 
“ Budapest, January 13. Rezsoe Seres, whose dirge-like song hit, "Gloomy Sunday" was blamed for touching off a wave of suicides during the nineteen-thirties, has ended his own life as a suicide it was learned today. 

Authorities disclosed today that Mr. Seres jumped from a window of his small apartment here last Sunday, shortly after his 69th birthday. The decade of the nineteen-thirties was marked by severe economic depression and the political upheaval that was to lead to World War II. The melancholy song written by Mr. Seres, with words by his friend, Ladislas Javor, a poet, declares at its climax, "My heart and I have decided to end it all." It was blamed for a sharp increase in suicides, and Hungarian officials finally prohibited it. In America, where Paul Robeson introduced an English version, some radio stations and nightclubs forbade its performance. Mr. Seres complained that the success of "Gloomy Sunday" actually increased his unhappiness, because he knew he would never be able to write a second hit. 

Back to top Go down
ShindoHihi

ShindoHihi

PostSubject: Re: "Glommy Sunday" - A suicide song   "Glommy Sunday" - A suicide song I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 10:59 pm

for what reasons did you post this kind of music in here, Minh? you want someone to suicide, don't you /Smile
Back to top Go down
NguyenTueMinh

PostSubject: Re: "Glommy Sunday" - A suicide song   "Glommy Sunday" - A suicide song I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 12:31 am

thank you! you got me already! I didn't know that you know me so well! haha.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Glommy Sunday" - A suicide song   "Glommy Sunday" - A suicide song I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Glommy Sunday" - A suicide song

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
FNB2.FTU :: ENTERTAINMENT :: Musics-