FNB2.FTU
FNB2.FTU
FNB2.FTU
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FNB2.FTU

A place where you can share your hobbies, business ideas, or anything that you feel interesting...

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Types and phases of conflict

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bích Ngọc

Types and phases of conflict Empty
PostSubject: Types and phases of conflict   Types and phases of conflict I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 8:19 am

A, Definition:
Interaction of interdependent people who perceive incompatible goals, aims, and values and who see the other party as potentially interfering with the realization of these goals.
3        “I’s” of Conflict: Interaction, Interdependence, Incompatible goals
-          The reason conflict exists.
-          Intergroup Conflict: Aggregates of people within an organization (e.g. work teams, departments) as parties in the conflict
-          Interorganizational Conflict: A dispute between two or more organizations
B, Phase of conflict:
1)    -Latent conflict or unstable peace: the conditions are ripe for conflict because of the three “I’s” (i.e. different personalities)
The first stage of conflict is latent conflict in which the factors that could become a cause of potential conflict exist. These are the dry for autonomy, divergence of goals, role conflict and the competition for scarce resources.
2)    -Perceived conflict: one or more of the parties believes that incompatibilities and interdependence exist.
Sometimes a conflict arises even if no latent conflict is present. In this stage one party perceived the others to be likely to thwart or frustrate his or her goals. The case, in which conflict is perceived when no latent conflict arises, is used to result from the parties misunderstanding each other’s true position. Such conflict can be resolved by improving communication between the groups.
3)    -Felt conflict: parties begin to formulate strategies about how to deal with the conflict (i.e. should I go to my boss; talk to the other party; avoid)
Felt conflict is the stage when the conflict is not only perceived but actually felt and cognized. For example, A may be aware that he is in serious argument with B over some policy. But this may not make. A tense or anxious and it may have no effect, whatsoever, on A’s affection towards B. The personalization of conflict is the mechanism which causes many people to be concerned with dysfunctions of conflict. In other words, it makes them feel the conflict. There are two reasons for the personalization of the conflict:
(i) the inconsistent demands on efficient organization and individual growth which is caused within the individual. Anxieties may also result from crisis or from extra-organizational pressures. Individuals need to vent these anxieties in order to maintain equilibrium.
(ii) Conflict becomes personalized when the whole personality of the individual is involved in the relationship. Hostile feelings are most common in the intimate relations that characterize various institutions and residential colleges.
4)    -Manifest conflict: strategies and goals are enacted in communication (i.e. filed a grievance with HR; confronted the opposing party)
Manifest conflict is the stage when the two parties engage in behavior which evokes response from each other. The most obvious of these responses are open aggression, apathy, sabotage, withdrawal and perfect obedience to rules. Except for prison riots, political revolutions and extreme labor unrest, violence as a form of manifest conflict is rare. The motives towards violence may remain they tend to be expressed in less violent forms.
5)    -Conflict aftermath: short- and long-term consequences—what did the conflict do to the relationship?
The aftermath of a conflict may have positive or negative repercussion for the organization depending upon the how conflict is resolved. If the conflict is genuinely resolved to the satisfaction of all participants, the basis for more cooperative relationship may be laid or the participants in their drive for a more ordered relationship may focus on latent conflicts not previously perceived and dealt with. On the other hand, if the conflict is merely suppressed but not resolved, the latent conditions of conflict may be aggravated and explode in a more serious from until they are rectified. This conflict episode is called conflict aftermath.

Back to top Go down

Types and phases of conflict

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1